Quirks you thought only you had (reddit roundup)
In the tradition of my other reddit roundup posts ("Which of our own closely held beliefs will our own children and grandchildren by appalled by?" and "What do you secretly do that is frowned upon by this community, but not by the world at-large?"), I've selected some key posts from the "Does Anybody Else" subforum (aka subreddit) of reddit.
A brief backgrounder:
About a month ago, jackalope123 posted this topic:
Out of pure curiosity, does anybody else...
... sometimes run up stairs on all fours? I do this when I'm alone. I don't really know why, I've done it since I was a kid, but when I'm confronted with stairs, I have the urge to climb it using my arms as legs as well. Am I alone in this, or are there others?
What followed has been a rapidly growing subreddit dedicated to DAEs (Does Anybody Else topics). Here is a selection of posts that I think capture the same essence as the above post:
- DAE Get really tired during meeting/class to the point you can't keep your eyes open, only to be wide awake and full of energy the minute it ends?
- DAE, while a passenger in a car, imagine a little guy running alongside the vehicle dodging obstacles/slashing things with a sword?
- DAE always thinks "Thesaurus" is a dinosaur name?
- DAE like to read the wikipedia article on a particular food while you're eating it?
- DAE feel like they look stupid/ugly/weird on every picture, but still feel like you look ok in the mirror?
- DAE feel extremely small and insignificant after watching Cosmos with Carl Sagan?
- DAE have moments where they realize "Holy shit, I'm a living, breathing thing. I have a body, I am alive"?
- DAE hate having any part of their body hanging off their bed just in case something grabs you?
- Does anybody else create massive, "ultimate" playlists, only to skip 80-90% of the songs anyways?
- DAE miss the battery life testers they used to build into batteries.
- DAE tense up when you exit a store with an alarm at the door, even though you know you didn't steal anything?
- DAE slide their feet on the edge rail of a down escalator?
- DAE keep moving slightly, right before a 4way stop, to let the other person stop first and continue before you to avoid deadlock?
- When taking a piss, DAE often flush mid-stream and engage in a race against time?
- DAE push the stop button on their microwave 1 second before the timer goes off, just so they don't have to hear the annoying beeping?
- DAE aim their urine stream at leftover poop stuck to the toilet bowl hoping to clean it off?
- DAE always piss into the toilet so that the pee-stream does not hit the water and bounces off the sides and makes less noise?
- IAE grossed out by the ring of white crust that forms around the mouth of a milk jug?
- DAE Run their hand or finger accross the wall when walking close to it?
- DAE start avoiding an RPG's storyline just before the end, so that they can keep enjoying the game a bit longer?
- DAE sit down in the shower and let the water beat them up?
- DAE Pretend They Are Wielding Caveman Clubs When They Eat Cheetos?
- DAE drop their pen/pencil in a public place, then catch it with the other hand, looking around hoping someone saw it?
- DAE hate the water that gets left on the top of the coffee cups when the dishwasher is finished?
- DAE list their parent's full name for their cell phone contact instead of using "Mom" or "Dad"?
- DAE get the urge to yell "don't worry, I'm not a rapist" when walking behind a lone woman at night?
- Does anyone else run up the stairs late at night to try and be quieter? It seems to make less noise than walking..
- Does anybody else get nostalgic overload when a certain smell triggered a moment in your life?
- DAE feel that they start walking with an awkward posture when someone else is watching them walk?
- DAE compulsively click the scroll wheel, double tap the caps lock key, highlight random text and drag it around, etc. while browsing the internet?